Friday, May 11, 2012

Small Living

Lately, I have been reading about small living, tiny houses, and downsizing your life. Some of the stories are extreme but the overall message is something we all can apply to our lives.

Simply put, the less “stuff” we have, the less money we spend, and the less we have to worry about.

Take a large house for example. We pay more for a large house, but we also have to pay more in taxes, insurance, maintenance, stuff to fill it up with, landscaping, etc.

My favorite example is clothes. I just started donating old clothes to Goodwill every three months. If I don’t wear it in 3 months, it’s gone. My goal is to reduce my wardrobe and therefore be satisfied with less. I won’t need a big, walk-in closet or have the urge to shop. It’ll be one less thing I’ll have to worry about. Not to mention, I’ll give back to the community, gain a tax deduction, and have more money in my pocket.

What are some things you could downsize?

No comments:

Post a Comment